Monday, August 31, 2009

So far so good. No nausea.

Tanner had melphalan yesterday and the last time it was given to him, he had a couple of really bad days afterwards with nausea and vomiting.

Last night I gave him a lorazepam (which is a nerve pill that also helps with nausea) at bed time and this morning he took a compazene and so far he hasn't been sick to his stomach at all today. Just really tired (which the nurses tell us is normal and will actually get worse over the next week before it gets better). I don't know if it's the fact that we have taken precautions to give him the extra nausea medicine here at the apartment or if the doctor might have added additional nausea medicine to what they give him at the hospital since they know he had a bad time during his first round of chemo. Whatever the difference is, we are both relieved that he's not nauseated today.

His blood pressure was really low so they added fluids to his drips today and have reiterated how very important it is for him to drink lots of fluids. Unfortunately, many of the drinks I put before him sit in the glass and just melt before he gets them down. I will have to see what we can do to work on that.

The pharmacist made a mistake when prescribing the companion medications that go along with the chemo and didn't give him enough to make it through Monday so they have decided to go ahead and move up his stem cell transplant to tomorrow morning. They don't want him to go two days without medication before the transplant. So, the moment has arrived and Tanner will have the transplant at ten in the morning! Yea!

After the transplant, he will go to the hospital every day and will have one growth factor shot a day so that his body will start making new cells to replace all the cells that were destroyed with the chemo. The stem cell transplant along with these new cells, should give him a cancer free system!!

His blood count will continue to drop over the next week to ten days then will start the climb back up over the week or two following that. He has it in his head that he's going to recover quicker than anyone they've ever seen before and will get to go home within two weeks.

He's a funny boy and has done terrifically well during this whole procedure. He's just so ready to come home -- even if it's just for a few weeks...


  1. Tanner does your neck hurt? My hurts just looking at the way you sleep. I know all the grandkids sleep like that in the car and it just looks very uncomfortable. I keeping my fingers crossed you get to come home in a couple of weeks too. I know it's been a ruff few days and you might still have some to go but soon things are going to get better. The picture of you above with your mouth open, I don't know why but you look so much like Trevor in it. Hang in there! As always my prayers with you and I know GODs right beside you all the way.

  2. I'm glad to hear this is a better round for the both of you. Hang in there and we are missing you all like crazy can't wait to see ya.
    Much Love,

  3. Hi Tannerboy. I love your pictures even though I must say it does look uncomfortable - as Cathy commented. I am really anxious to see you this weekend - you know granny's are supposed to pamper and spoil the grandkids!!!! I am so very happy that you are not nauseated so far this go round. Hopefully, you won't get to that point. And the stem cell transplant will be a breeze compared to what you have already been through. And then hopefully, you will be coming home very very soon. I am praying for that. Just remember, Your loving heavenly father never takes His eyes off you. We love you and your mom. Granny and Pop