Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Well, the morning didn't go as smoothly as we would have hoped for. We got to the Infusion Clinic ok but had to wait nearly an hour and then when they got Tanner to the back, he got really light headed and nearly passed out. They called in a PA and she told us that Tanner was dehydrated and was also probably crashing form coming off the massive dose of steroids they had him on for the first four days of treatment.

They gave him an IV of fluids and also some medications including a little bit more Dex (the steroids he has been on for four days). She said by giving him just a bit more, they can "wean" him off the steroids rather than just taking him off all of a sudden.

I have him back at the apartment and he just wanted to go back to bed. They said his white count is going to continue dropping over the next few days and he will continue to get weaker and that it's important for him to drink plenty of fluids. I put the drinks in front of him throughout the day and try to get him to drink. I guess I'm going to have to start really pushing the fluids on him.

To top it off, now my cell phone has quit working and I don't have access to all the phone numbers saved on the phone. I do know that his dad and step mom are on the way and should be here some time this evening. I don't know that I will feel comfortable leaving Tanner alone today so that I can go and find an AT&T store, so I might just stop at Best Buy on the way out and pick up a Go Phone for the trip home. I would hate to be on the road from Little Rock to Fort Worth without communication.

I figure this is just the begining of Tanner really getting weak from all the treatments and I know that I will worry when I go home for the next few days. I tell myself that if he is going to be going through treatment for months at a time, I have to let go and let some of the other family help us out. I just know this first time leaving him behind is going to be hard on me.

I know it's been hard on Tim and Janet to be away from Tanner this week and that they are anxious to get back and see him - and I know that he will be well taken care of; it's just hard for a mom to leave her child when he's sick.

Hopefully, the trip to the hospital this afternoon at 4:00 p.m. will go a little more smoothly than this morning.

1 comment:

  1. Tannerboy, it is ok to just say "I am tired." You always pushed yourself and now let your body and the meds do their thing so you can get well. RMEMEBER - THIS WON'T LAST FOREVER. IT IS TEMPORARY! One day very soon you will look back at this --- it will be all over and you will be back to yourself. Once you get to the top of the mountain it will then be all downhill. Our Daily Bread quote today is "God's Spirit knows no defeat." We love you, Granny Jane and Pop Jerry