Saturday, December 19, 2009

Tanner and I have made it home!

I woke up at 4:30 a.m. on Friday morning and couldn't go back to sleep so I decided to go ahead and get the car packed. I had everything ready to go by 6:00 a.m., so I woke Tanner up and asked him if he was ready to get on the road. He jumped right up (as much as he can "jump" in a cast).

We were at the door of the apartment on the way out when Tom came over to see if I needed any help loading my car. When I opened the door, he told me he didn't think I could get another thing in my vehicle! It was packed from top to bottom in the back seat and the trunk. I had reclined Tanner's seat and then I just loaded things around him.

We were both so excited at the thought of getting back home and having Christmas with our family! We were on the other side of Dallas, when my cell phone rang and it was Granny Jane telling me that my house had been broken into.

Needless to say, Tanner and I were pretty upset. We were so looking forward to getting home and relaxing for a while and instead we had to deal with the fact that the house had been burglarized.

My cousin, Kirk came over to my house on Wednesday night at 10:30 p.m. and everything was fine and then Friday morning, Kelsey went to the house to leave some Christmas gifts and when she opened the door, found that we had been robbed.

They took our big screen TV, our home computer, a Dell laptop, our modems (which is why I'm only now updating the blog) nearly all of our DVD's, all of my jewelry, car stereo speakers, and Trevor's and Tanner's video cameras.

Whoever did this seemed to know where we kept most of our posessions and they came in through my small bathroom window. Tanner was just devastated because he feels like this is someone that we know; someone who knows what he is going through.

When we arrived at the house, we discovered that our family had put lights on the house, decorations in the yard, and had put up and decorated a Christmas tree - not to mention stocked our pantry and refrigerator with food!

They had done all that they could to ensure that we would have a wonderful Christmas surprise when we arrived home, only to have it marred by the fact that someone had broken in and stolen from us.

After finding our house burglarized, Kelsey contacted some of the local news outlets and gave them the background story. Channel 11 news contacted me and came out and interviewed us yesterday evening and the story was on the 10:00 p.m. news last night. Tanner did great during the interview and the only thing I can hope, is that maybe the insurance company will reconsider their decision to deny coverage.

I am at my niece's house so that I can update the blog (since my computers and modems are gone).

As I told Tanner, we can replace our material possessions and that I am just grateful that he was given the diagnosis of full remission before we left on Friday.

We are going to try and enjoy the holidays and will be heading back to Little Rock in mid-January. Of course, I will be having the alarm system turned back on at the house - and will do my best to just have someone in my family stay there for the few days that we should be gone during this next trip.

I will continue to update as I can while we are at home.

Thank you all for the love and support!

1 comment:

  1. I thank God that Tanner is in full remission. God is good and great and we are so blessed to have Him looking out for us.
    The people that stole your possessions need our prayers that they will see their choices are hurtful and destructful. Plus they will only have more and more misery by following this path.
    Nobody can spoil our Christmas as long as we don't let them.
    I refuse to let this incident take away from my joy at having Tanner in remission and having you all home. This last 6 months have been hard on us all. I can only imagine what you and Tanner have had to endure and I admire your courage and strength through all of this.
    Please know that you can always depend upon me at any time to help in whatever way I can.
    We love you, Granny and Pop