Friday, October 16, 2009


The good news is that there is still no sign of cancer in Tanner's bone marrow. The other news is that it looks like we are going to be here at least three more weeks.


Our appointment to see Dr. Barlogie today was at 2:00 p.m. and we arrived there about 1:45. At a quarter to six, he finally made it to our exam room. He was very apologetic but we had been watching him from our exam room running from room to room for hours and you could see the exhaustion in his face. He told me he tries not to rush his patients, and then he falls behind. After seeing Tanner at 6:00 p.m. he still had two more new patients to see.


He asked me if we were prepared to stay here a while and I told him that when coming back this time, we didn't know what was supposed to happen next but that we had kept the apartment and had packed to be here a while. He thanked me said he wanted to go ahead and do the next stem cell transplant.


I told him that the insurance lady had told us that since our insurance wouldn't cover two implants (if they cover any of this at all), in one year, that Dr. B might just do one implant. He asked why in the world would she say something like that and that he wouldn't give Tanner any less treatment than he would an old person.


Soooo, it looks like I will be signing for another stem cell transplant to be performed and the process will start next week.


I asked about the lesion in Tanner's right femur, and he said that he didn't want to say anything about that since that was more Dr. Nicholas' area and that he would send a note over to him (the cancer orthopedic surgeon) to look at Tanner's tests and to get back with us about the big lesion in his right leg - and also the lesion and broken bone in the left leg. I know the next appointment with Dr. Nicholas isn't until October 30th but hopefully, he will get with us after he gets Dr. B's note and he looks at the MRI and PET scan that was done this week.


I have a pounding headache from sitting so many hours at the doctor's office without eating so I'm just going to leave it at this tonight.


Tanner and I both are a little disheartened - but Dr. B knows best and I want him to do everything he thinks is best to make sure Tanner has a long and healthy life.

No comments:

Post a Comment