Thursday, October 15, 2009

I'm sorry I didn't post last night. The first thing Tanner told me when we got back to the apartment yesterday evening was that he wanted the internet for a while (no wireless connection) before I got on for HOURS.

I told him that I wouldn't be on for hours because there wasn't that much to report but I went ahead and let him log on for a while and I settled on the couch to rest for a little bit. The next thing I knew, the telephone woke me up. I got up long enough to make grilled cheese and tomato soup for supper and then I went to bed.

It's raining here and cooler than in Texas. Thankfully we brought some warmer clothes this time. The people at the hospital tell me it's been raining every day for two weeks. I know that the rain makes it a little difficult to get Tanner in and out in the wheelchair.

Tanner started his day yesterday with the PET scan and then we went over to MIRT and saw the gang at the office and had labwork drawn. He told me he didn't think he needed his "lollipop" (sedative on a stick) and made it through his bone marrow aspiration drug free. He just took deep breaths and the girl who performed the procedure did a really good job. We ended the day with an MRI that took a couple of hours (he did take a Lorazepam to help him relax for those hours spent in the tube).

There is nothing on the books for Tanner today, so I'm planning on running over to Central Licensing Bureau to meet some people I have been working with long distance for several years now. It will be nice to finally meet them and have faces to put with the voices.

We see Dr. Barlogie tomorrow at 2:00 p.m. and Tanner and I are both anxious to hear what he has to say. It seems like, from what some of the patients we met yesterday were telling us, there is a phase after the stem cell transplants called "consolidation" in which the patient has to go through chemotherpay again at about 75% strength . Now we are both afraid that, at the very least, we might be here another week or two.

But, as Dr. Barlogie told us when we asked him what was next, "every patient's treatment is individualized", so I guess we won't stress over what's next and will wait to see what the doctor has to say on Friday.

I'll be sure to let you all know.

No comments:

Post a Comment