Thursday, November 18, 2010

Living with hope

Things have been really quiet in regards to Tanner, his illness, and his treatment lately.

After the year we have had, that's a good thing!

We had an agent meeting for my work this past weekend that ran through Tuesday so Tanner spent some time with his dad and step-mom.  It's easier for me when I have something busy to do like the meeting where I'm going to be gone until late at night for days in a row to know that he's somewhere safe where I can count on not having to worry about him.

I know he's 18 now, but what does a mother do? It's our job to worry...  I think I worry about him more now at 18 than I did at 8. LOL!

His treatment has been going without any complications lately.  He goes back to the doctor this Friday at 1 p.m. and I need to let them know that he needs to get in and out as quickly as possible.  We have a couple coming to our home at 4:30 on Friday from the Make A Wish Foundation to talk to him about his wish.

I ask myself why this wonderful opportunity for Tanner to have a wish granted makes me feel like crying.  It's just that I never in my wildest dreams ever imagined that he would be in a position to ever be granted anything from a foundation like Make A Wish.  I never imagined I would have a son with cancer.

I was driving in to work this morning and heard that there's only 37 days until Christmas and then when I got here, I received a message from my cousin asking about Thanksgiving.  It's just surreal.  The year has gone so quickly.  I've gone through more emotional upheaval in the last year than I have in my whole life (and that's saying a lot).

Tanner will have maintained remission for one year in December.  We've come a long way from that horrible day last year when we first received the news.  At least now we are living each day with hope.

1 comment:

  1. Thats great to hear! What is Tanners wish? Care to share? So very exciting!

    ReplyDelete